We have made the very difficult decision to CANCEL tomorrow's race. As you can imagine this was a very hard decision as we know that everyone is looking forward to it and has been training hard. However, we cannot defeat the weather and with T3 being raised and T8 possible before tomorrow morning it is best to make the decision now. In addition, we have considered the following;
1. Given the conditions we had already cancelled all water sections of the route - this makes the race much less fun which is the ultimate aim!
2. Although it may only be T3 tomorrow and technically possible to run the race, given the position of the storm and the associated NE Monsoon there will likely be very heavy rain, thunderstorms and squalls. We would not start the race with a thunderstorm warning in force and therefore could bring racers to the start point only to stand in worsening conditions.
3. We have to consider the safety and welfare of the race marshals, first aiders, and others who are spending many hours out on the course, often in exposed conditions.
4. The HK Observatory expects conditions to deteriorate during the morning it would be unwise to start the race and have people out on the course in conditions that are getting worse.
5. The Multi Race is a fun event that aims to provide an introduction to adventure racing. Although many of our racers would be happy in the conditions. we want it to be fun for everyone - and we should always remember that!
We will be in touch early next week with further information. Thank you for your support and understanding - we have not taken this decision lightly and have put in all of the necessary hard to get the event ready..we don't want to cancel but it is definitely the only sensible decision.
Outward Bound Hong Kong